Thursday, June 10, 2010

Getting ready for the opening match!



It's the night before the big game. The opening match that I am responsible for officiating with my crew. We're a total of four. I'm in the Center. One of my assistant referees will be on one side of the field. My second assistant referee will be on the other side on what we call a diagonal. Then my fourth ref will be at the touchline where it intersects at midfield assisting me with substitutions and making sure the players behave on the bench.

We're all having dinner and going over preparations before the big game in the morning. Salads and water we're having. We've got to stay fit! The game is at 10a est, so we'll arrive at the field at 8a.

It's what dreams are made of. Refereeing the opening match of the 2010 World Cup. Host nation South Africa vs. Mexico. Please don't pinch me I don't want to wake up.

I tell my crew, ignore the rumors that we wouldn't call the game fair because South Africa is the host. I tell my crew, we will work as a team ourselves providing the best application of what all football refs know as "The Laws of the Game!" The rules of the sport.

I look to Bryan, you're responsible for the flags. Jeff: I need you to bring the back up set of flags. Anthony, you're responsible for checking their uniforms making sure their jerseys, including the goal keepers don't clash with ours. Anthony check the balls making sure they are good, air pressure included. They must have the tournament emblem on them.

Guys: We're going to have to concentrate and keep up. Let's make constant eye contact. I'll have the game card, yellow cards and red cards. I'll also bring the coin for the coin toss. I'll have two watches on each wrist in case on fails. Bryan: I'll need you to do the same. We must be prepared.

To my AR's, (my assistant referees) you're responsible for signaling offsides to me with your flags. if a foul is committed in your quadrant and I don't see it, raise your flag, wiggle the top and point the direction of the team that is awarded the free kick.

If a goal is scored and it's good, I need each of you to run to the end and sprint up the sideline 10 yards. This will tell me, the goal is good and there are no problems. If the goal is not good, just stand at attention and indicate the infraction.

Guys: This is our moment! Our goal is not to be notice. This is South Africa's & Mexico's game! Let's use my strategy of the L.A.S.E.R. System to be absolutely focus! We must Listen. Assess. Support each other. Execute the Laws of the game and be Responsible.

"Ouch!" "Daddy, Daddy! Can you take us to bed? you fell a sleep on the couch and it's bed time!

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. What color Jersey are we wearing Center? I want the dream to remain and to be more vivid. I am going back to sleep as well because I don't want the dream to end. MORE, More, more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my World Cup yesterday, U14 Boys in Alpharetta, GA of all places. Two goals 2-0 and no cards. Great game.

    ReplyDelete